***UPDATE*** 2019 Federal AND Maine Income Tax Deadline Extension to July 15, 2020
Maine Governor Janet Mills announced on Thursday, March 26, 2020, that Maine would join the IRS in extending the deadline for filing of 2019 federal income tax returns and payment of tax to July 15, 2020, with no penalty or interest.
IRS Notice 2020-18 superseded and confirmed the earlier announcement of U.S Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin announced extensions for the 2019 tax filing deadlines in response to the global pandemic.
July 15, 2020 is the deadline for the following:
- Filing of 2019 federal income tax return
- Payment of 2019 federal income tax
- Filing of 2019 Maine income tax return
- Payment of 2019 Maine income tax
- First quarter estimated tax payments for 2020 (Note that second quarter payments are still due on June 15, 2020 – BEFORE the first quarter extension deadline)
The IRS also confirmed an extension until July 15, 2020 for contributions to tax saving vehicles:
- 2019 contributions to Individual Retirement Accounts
- 2019 contributions to Health Savings Accounts and Archer MSAs
We will continue to provide brief updates as information is received. As always, do not hesitate to reach out with any questions. We welcome the opportunity to be of assistance.